Monday, September 6, 2010

Box-Free Pancakes

We're a family that loves a good weekend breakfast.  When it comes to pancakes, as a kid my mom used Bisquick and then up until 2004, I did too.  It wasn't until I learned of trans-fats that I finally stopped purchasing the pancake mix.  (Read more about my commitment here)

Have you ever looked at the ingredient list on a box of Bisquick??  Here's the product and nutrition information taken directly from their site:

Sure there's a heart healthy version... but come on... they still use enriched bleached flour!!  For the past 6 years (YAY!!), I've been making my own pancakes... box-free means more than just knowing what I put in my food... there's no plastic bag to throw away and no box to recycle... here's the recipe for pancakes that I use:

Buttermilk Pancakes

2 cups wheat flour with germ*  (bought in bulk)
2 TBSP unrefined organic sugar (bought in bulk)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large organic free-range* egg (*my eggs ONLY come from my backyard or from the Farmers Market)
3 TBSP organic unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 cups local buttermilk  (if you can't find local, use organic)

Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, butter and buttermilk.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients to flour mixture.  Gently whisk until the buttermilk mixture is just incorporated (a few lumps remaining is good ;) ).

Heat your griddle or skillet and get cooking some homemade pancakes!!  It takes about 2 minutes on the first side... as usual, wait for those little bubbles then flip.  Second side will take about 1 1/2 minutes.  When they're done either serve right away or put them in a 200 degree oven on a wire rack while the others cook.  Serve with real maple syrup.

Tip:  When I make pancakes (or waffles or french toast), I always purposefully make too much... then I store the leftovers in my freezer to be reheated for breakfast later in the week (or the next week)!  ;)

Variations:  

Blueberry, Banana or Chocolate Chip (or anything else you can think of) pancakes:  Pour the batter onto the griddle, then add your fruit of choice... on birthdays my kids ALWAYS ask for chocolate chips ;)  When the bubbles appear, flip as usual.

Whole-Wheat Pancakes:  Replace 1 cup of flour with 1 cup of whole-wheat flour.  (I, personally, really like Spelt flour)

No comments:

Post a Comment